Thursday, March 09, 2006

Where is my Time Being Spent?



I am heading up a new team at our church. Our quest is to try to become more "Passionate spiritually." One of our means of getting there is to set up four mission projects and involve the entire congregation.

As I was sitting there listening to everyone's ideas, this overwhelming sense of guilt took over. I SHOULD BE DOING MORE!! There are so many things which may seem insignificant to us but are life saving to others. I have this tug on my heart to do more. I am sad that I don't pay more attention to this. Am I lazy? Is my time THAT precious? Do I not make reaching out to others a priority? Don't I want to teach my children compassion?

The Bible talks about striving to live our lives like Jesus. He was the giver of all givers! He wants us to reach out and help others because when we reach out and help someone else it is our way of serving and loving Him.

Then I read my devotional this morning, Daily Wisdom for Mothers, it talked about how we as moms are so consumed with our busy schedules that it often takes away from the precious time we have with our children. She talks about how sometimes even good things can be bad if it takes away from our families.

I need to remember that I am the leader of 2 committees within our Church. I give my time, services and money when I can. I recognize that there is more that I could and should be doing. I hope that this mission team will enalbe me to do more of that. I also hope to involve and teach my children at an early age what it is to do God's work here on Earth.

However, when my outside commitments start to take away from my time with my children I need to take a step back. I need to remind myself of the long-term mission project that I have been chossen to do during this season of my life; caring for and raising two of God's children! He chose ME to be their mom. For now, one of my top priorities in life is giving them the time and love they deserve, regardless of how much it pains me to say "No" once in awhile.

1 comment:

CJ said...

Yes, I have that guilt often. I don't do near enough!!!