Thursday, November 05, 2009

Sleeping Habits: The Good, The Bad and the Cute!!!

Sometime after my babies turned one they turned into not so good sleepers. Not that ANY of them ever slept through the night as babies but it seemed that I allowed for bad sleeping habits to develop. Habits that I take full responsibility for and habits that I have had to break.

With The Boy it was as easy as me leaving the work world to be a SAHM and getting him on a schedule the summer prior to him starting kindergarten. For BuhBuh it took some tearful nights and an established, predictable bedtime routine. He will still occasionally come down to our room if he's had a bad dream. This is something I know he will grow out of and as seldom as it is, it isn't really much of a problem.

Little Dude was so used to nursing to sleep that once he was weaned I didn't really have a plan on what to do next. At his worst he would go, go, go until he crashed late afternoon, stay up late at night and go to bed in our bed every night. It was exhausting.

For the past few months we have done things to fix this. He is now sleeping in a toddler bed (still in our room), we have an established, predictable bedtime routine, and he has been taking naps during the day which has made the evenings a little easier to get through. I am happy to report that Little Dude is falling asleep on his own, in his own bed and staying there all night. I have reclaimed at least an hour where My Sweetie and I have to ourselves in the evenings before I head off to bed.

Last night I discovered we may still have one or two little problems.

One of them being THIS is NOT where I put him to bed last night!!!!

Either I need to get him to take a nap during the day in his own bed, or it's time to move him out of our room completely!

No comments: