Monday, November 16, 2009

Happy 13th Birthday

Me: Do you know why you are so special to me??

The Boy: Because I made you a mom.



The Mommy: Do you know what my most favorite thing to do is??

The Boy: Being our mom.



I can hardly believe he is 13. I can hardly believe he is TALLER THAN ME!!!! I know, it's not a huge task to accomplish, but this guy was my smallest baby!!!! LOOK AT HIM!!!!

One of the best decisions I ever made was to quit my job to stay home with my kids. I do wish that I wouldn't have been so selfish when he was little so that I could have been a better mom when he was younger. But, we have made the best of the time that I have been home with him since. I think it has paid off. I remember the sweet summer before he started kindergarten that we had together before our family grew. Since kindergarten time has gone faster than I could have ever imagined it to have gone.

Now he is 13 in 7th grade.

He's wanting to be more independent; searching for his place within our family and among his friends; questioning the way the world works; relying on his strong faith in Jesus to keep him grounded; working hard to make good grades; trying new things; experiencing the ups and downs of crushes; growing in height; growing in appetite; growing in intellect; growing in faith.

He is an amazing young man.

His birthday was last Wednesday.

The Daddy may have just out done himself with THIS streamer art!


The Boy has always enjoyed the fact that his birthday falls on Veterans Day....he NEVER has had to go to school on his birthday. I tell him that's one gift I gave him to last year after year. :)

On birthday mornings we let them open their gifts from us. He did in fact get one of the items from his list.

He's been pretty happy with it. I have to admit, it's REALLY COOL!!!! Is it sad that my son's IPOD is cooler than my cell phone????

Our traditional birthday breakfast are cinnamon rolls. They all expect it!

The Friday after his birthday we had a family dinner with his grandmas and grandpas and some of his aunts and uncles and cousins. All in all I think he enjoyed celebrating his special day.

I'm not really sure how to parent a teenager. But then again, I wasn't really sure how to be a parent of any kind when he was first born. The only thing I DID know was how to love him.

Our family has certainly changed over the past 13 years.....

Even though we were young parents when we had him unsure of what the future was going to bring and with lots of growing up to do ourselves, I am so blessed that it began the way it did and when it did....

Because I LOVE where it has lead.....


Happy 13th Birthday, my sweet boy. Thank you for making me a mom and us a family. I love you!

No comments: