Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Just the Way You Are"

I love Billy Joel. When I was a kid I remember having his Greatest Hits cassette tape that I listened to all the time. When I was in college I had the opportunity to go and see him in concert...they were nose bleed seats mind you, but I WAS THERE!! You can imagine my excitment when I saw that PBS was airing a live concert of his from 1978...he was in England I think and he was performing songs off his record The Stranger.

Last night My Sweetie and I had the opportunity to sit down and watch it off our DVR. As we were listening to this song:



Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

Don't go trying some new fashion
Don't change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are.

I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew
What will it take till you believe in me
The way that I believe in you.

I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are.

We were both having the same thoughts. I was thinking what a sweet, "romantical" song it was and how the words were a good fit for he and I.

My Sweetie, said, "Why wasn't THIS song our first dance when we got married??"

"I don't know! But it should have been," I replied.

He can't even remember the song we danced to. It was a song that was popular at the time and you rarely even hear it anymore. I picked it because at the time, I liked the words.....still good words I suppose, but not as classic as Billy Joel's "Just the Way you Are".

So, My Sweetie and I have decided to make a little edit to our past. From here on out....we will "remember" our first dance and tell people the song we first danced to at our wedding was actually "Just the Way You Are" Chances are, no one else who attended our wedding remembers, and I don't think there is any documented proof that it wasn't. If there is, we've decided to continue to stick by our story and assure everyone else, as lovingly as we can, that they are wrong and we remain to be right. Hehehe....

How sweet it is to be loved by someone who truly, loves me just the way I am. And how blessed we've been as we've traveled the adventure of life together for the past 12+ years.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love Billy Joel! I'd never really read the words to that before. Beautiful...

And, for the record, a friend of ours requested a song at our wedding reception that everyone, young and old, did the conga line to, and forever in our minds our wedding song, the song that reminds us of our wedding and reception whenever we hear it is....

My Hump by the Black-Eyed Peas. Such romance. I have goosebumps.

Anonymous said...

"Because You Loved Me"
Celine Dion

--Kath. :)