Friday, February 18, 2011

Intentionally Growing Part One

The weekend had come and gone.  Again.  It was Monday.  I usually like Mondays.  They are my recover-from-the-weekend-get-ready-for-the-week day.  I was swapping laundry around while mentally scrolling through my to-do list and became very overwhelmed.  

Aren't the months of January-March suppose to be my "hibernation" months, I wondered. 

Wasn't I going to do some much needed scrapbooking and unpack the last few boxes?? 

Is it REALLY February???

Why does time go so fast???

Why am I so tired?!?!?!!???

I knew I needed a mental break even though it wasn't even 10 a.m. yet.

I logged onto My One Word to see if there were any new blog posts.  And there it was.  Starting at me.  My feelings in the written word.  

Rather than living life intentionally, most people end up responding to whatever comes their way just hoping to survive. Our lives are filled with what amounts to be distractions simply because everything else is allowed priority in our lives. We raise our kids, run our businesses and go through our lives holding our breath, crossing our fingers and hoping that somehow in the busyness of it all we will grow into reflecting Christ’s heart. This simply will not happen by chance.
My One Word is Grow.  I realized that I can't GROW unless I'm intentional about it.  So that's what I'm trying to do.   I spend so much of my time "responding to whatever comes my way" always hoping "to survive."  That's why life goes too fast.  I was out of balance and I don't function well when I live in survival mode.

The next morning I intentionally woke up early and tip toed quietly down to the kitchen before waking up the kids and opened my Bible.  

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.  Zephaniah 3:17
Quiet you with his love.

Quiet me with his love.

Much like I swoop up Little Dude when he gets hurt and hug him and kiss him and apply the "orange bumpy" ice to his boo-boo to quiet him, my Heavenly Father is here to swoop in and quiet me, comfort me with his love too. 

Not only that but I need to remember that my Heavenly Father is with me; delighting in me; loving me; rejoicing in what I do.  Always.  But especially in those moments when I am feeling overwhelmed and tired. 

I don't always want to be intentional about opening my Bible.  But the day is always better when I do. 

No comments: