Friday, September 10, 2010

*****I wrote this yesterday morning and decided not to post it.  Since then this man has decided not to follow through with what he said he was going to do, THANK GOD!!!  I posted a pretty "bold" statement on my facebook page today saying much of what this post says, so I decided to post it here afterall. ****

I'm sure you've heard.  On September 11th a man by the name of Terry Jones from Dove World's Church in Florida is planning to burn the Muslim Holy book, the Koran.

This has drawn a lot of media coverage, a lot of uproar with Christian leaders, in Washington and even in our Military.

I PRAY that people realize just how wrong this man is.

I PRAY that people who do not have a relationship with Jesus don't think that this man is in any way, shape or form a reflection of Christianity.

He.  Is.  Not.

He was asked in an ABC interview if he thought this was something Jesus would do.  His response?

"Absolutely"

He said Jesus was a radical; that Jesus wouldn't have necessarily gone around burning books but that he would have burned this one.

I agree with Terry Jones on one thing.

Jesus WAS a radical.

Jesus ate dinner with the despised Tax Collectors.  He spoke with and forgave the prostitutes and the adulterers.  He healed the lepers.  He didn't cast away the children.  He stood up to the religious leaders of the time who were not doing things the way God intended. 

But Jesus never would have demonstrated such an act of hatred toward any of God's children.

Ever.

This is something that has been stiring around in my head.  So I wanted more amo for this post so I did some googling.

The more I read and as I sat and watched a replay of the ABC interview online I found myself getting angrier and angrier.

Then I realized, if I keep getting angrier over this, then this man has just one upped me.

I walked away from the computer and heard, "You know the truth."


Being angry won't solve anything or make change anything.  But maybe my prayers can.


This man needs our prayers so that he can know the truth.  The congregation he leads need our prayers so they too can know the truth. 

Ephesians 5:1-2 says that we are to "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us"

Terry Jones is not imitating God and is not living a life of love.

1 John 4:7-12 says,  7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.


No comments: